May 1877


Ten Persons Buried Alive
    A terrible land slide is reported to have taken place on the bank of the Veillet, a tributary of the Batiscan, in the Parish of Sainte Geneuieve, county of Champlain, Quebec, about 100 miles northeast of Montreal... It is positively asserted that 10 persons were buried alive.  The bodies of Mrs. Massicotte, wife of the owner of the mill, her three children, aged respectively 3, 7, and 12 years, and Mr. Cloutier, father of Rev. Mr. Cloutier, of Three Rivers, have been recovered.


The Burning Of Five Children
    Early on Tuesday morning a terrible tragedy occurred at Little York, Courtland county - a flag station on the Syracuse and Binghamton Railroad, fifty miles north of Binghamton.  The station house was occupied by Frank Dunigan, section foreman.  About 5 o'clock he started a kitchen fire and with his wife went across the tracks to the barn, leaving their five children asleep in the house.  The mother returned from milking shortly afterwards and found the house in flames....  The children were burned to death.  The bodies were recovered about two hours afterwards.  The oldest child was aged nine years.


John, an eleven-year old son of Smith Clark, of High Bridge, was drowned at the dam of John T. Dorland's mill, on Tuesday afternoon.




January 1877


    In West Amwell township, of diptheria, the only children of Carlisle and Amy T. Phillips: Dec. 12, Charles M., aged 6 months and 10 days; Dec. 23, Lillie May, aged 10 years, 1 month and 1 day; Dec. 24, Florence, aged 1 year, 11 months and 10 days.


A Shocking Accident
    About two o'clock on Thursday morning, 11th, Samuel Morris and his wife and two children, who lived in a two-story frame house belonging to Doctor James Bean, near Cranberry Park, New Hanover township, Burlington county, were awakened by flames bursting from the floor of their bed room, and volumes of suffocating smoke.  Mr. Morris took one of the children, aged about eleven years, in his arms and started down the stairway.  Mrs. Morris attempted to follow him, but was driven back by the flames and smoke.  She then went to the window and lowered the child to the arms of those who had assembled below, and then jumped out herself, reaching the ground unharmed.... On Thursday searched was made among the ruins for the remains of the unfortunate father and child but nothing could be found but two skulls and a few other bones... Mr. Morris was about fifty years of age, and was a laboring man.

April 1877


Death From The Spitz Bite
    Another terrible death from the bite of a Spitz dog has just transpired at "Blackthorn", in the village of New Castle.  Effie Sparks, the latest victim of the dreaded Spitz, was 18 years of age at the time of her death, which occurred at a late hour on Thursday night last.  She was the daughter of a merchant residing in a neat homestead in Blackthorn and doing business in New York City...


Died From Diphtheria
    The Trenton True American of Friday last says:  About two weeks ago, Mr. Edward S. Pullen removed his family from Morrisville, Pennsylvania, to Ashbury street, in this city.  The children were attached with diphtheria and on Wednesday of last week two of them, Mary L., aged 8 years and Sadie, aged 4 years, died.  On Thursday of last week another child, Susie A., aged 6 years, died from the same disease.  The three little ones were buried Sunday afternoon at Riverview Cemetery.


    On January 2, Robert M. Dickie, aged fourteen, while playing with a cat was bitten in the hand.  The wound healed and nothing was thought of it till Sunday, when the boy experienced great difficulty in swallowing.  Soon after all the symptoms of hydrophobia developed themselves, and early this morning the sufferer had to be removed to the Bellevue Hospital.  No hopes are entertained of his recovery


June 1858


A son of Mr. Lewis Titus, of Lambertville, aged about ten years, was drowned in the feeder of
the Delaware and Raritan Canal, on last Thursday afternoon. He was fishing with another lad.
The lifeless body was recovered about half an hour after the occurence.



Suicide - A Foolish Old Man. The Morristown Jerseyman learns that Mr. Isaac Van Duyne, a
respectable farmer, in good circumstance, living near Mountinville, Morris Co., committed
suicide by hanging on Wednesday. He was very much opposed to his daughter's
receiving the attentions of a young man who was waiting upon her, and threatened
self-destruction on two or three occasions unless she dismissed him. It was, however, regarded
as a freak, and no attention was paid to it by the family. He was about fifty
years old, and a brother to a married woman who committed suicide at Pine Brook some
months since.




Sept.1858- Fatal Accident - Sarah Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Apgar of Cokesbury, in
Tewksbury Township, of this County, aged 9 years and 9 month, was so severly burned on
Monday evening, the 25th inst., by her cloths taking fire from a lighted candle, that she died
from the injuries the next morning. Her parents were absent from home at the time of the




    In Readington Township, at the residence of his father, on the 10th inst. of Consumption,
Frederick A. Chittenden, aged about 23 years.




Mrs. Martha Pearce, wife of William N. Pearce, of Squaw Village, Monmouth county, committed
suicide on the 18th inst., by cutting her throat. On the previous day she attempted to kill
herself by taking three drachms of opium, but was saved by the timely discovery of her
condition. She was forty years old and leaves a large family of young children. No cause is
assigned for the act.





On Friday morning last, a little son of Mr. Lewis Hoff, of Rahway, was run over by the cars, and
so mangled that he died in short time after - having both his legs cut entirely off. He was about
seven years old.


Melancholy Accident. - A child of Mr. John Chamberlin, aged about 6 years, was drowned on
last Tuesday, at the residence of Mr. William Hockenbury. A hole had been dug for a cistern,
which was filled with water, and frozen over, the child went upon the ice, but it not being
sufficiently strong to bear, fell in.


Near Sand Brook, on Sunday the 15th ult., Sarah, daughter of John B. and Sarah McPherson, in the 21st year of her age.




Near Stanton, Feb. 26th, 1863, of Diphtheria, Elma Ely, daughter of Joseph and Catharine Potts, aged 6 years, 8 months and 14 days.



    In Flemington, on the 26th ult., of Diphtheria, and French measles, Kate Amelia, daughter of John E. and Marthia Ann Barrass, aged 6 years and 4 months.

    Also, on the 29th ult., of Diphtheria, Juliette Adams, daughter of John E. and Marthia Ann Barrass, aged 4 years and 1 day.

Near Flemington, Hunterdon County, October 21st, of diphtheria, Frances Elizabeth, daughter of Samuel and Hannah Hulley, aged 14 years and 1 month.




    Near Quick's Mills, of Scarlet fever and Diphtheria, November 21st, Abraham E., aged 6 years and 23 days; November 4th, Phoebe Jane, aged 4 years: November 26th, Margaretta, aged 1 year and 3 months - all children of Sarah Jane and John Fox.

01            01             01

      FindaGrave      FindaGrave       FindaGrave    




December 1879


Fatal Shooting Accident
    About noon on Thursday last a terrible accident occurred near Woodsville, which should be an eloquent warning against the careless carrying and use of deadly weapons.  The little son and daughter of Peter J. Snook, aged about five and seven years respectively, were playing about their father's door-yard when the little boy discovered the coat of the hired man hanging on a tree.  The little fellow's curiosity was too great to be controlled and on examining the pockets, he found a loaded revolver, which was a wonderful prize in his childish eyes.  While toying with the weapon, it accidentally went off, and the contents lodged in the heart of his little sister, causing instant death.




In West Amwell township, Dec. 8, 1879, of diphtheria, Josephine, daughter of Daniel and Mary A. Burk, aged 6 years and 10 months.




Burned In Their Home
    Early on Sunday morning, Mathew Gleason, living in a tenant house on the farm of James W. Allen, near Eagrestown, N.J., was awakened by smoke in his sleeping room.  He sprang from his bed, and opening the door leading to the stairway, was met by a roaring volume of flame that drove him back.  He aroused his wife, and they groped their way through the thickening smoke in the room to a window and leaped to the ground.  Part of Mrs. Gleason's clothing caught fire before she leaped from the window.

    In the meantime, Mr. Gleason's three children - John, aged 10; Margaret, aged 7; and James, aged 2 - had been awakened by the flames and smoke, and they appeared at an upper window that was aglow with the fire behind, crying for help.  The window sash was down, and they seemed unable to raise it.  At the sight Mrs. Gleason wrung her hands, screamed and fell in a swoon.  There was no ladder at hand, and Mr. Gleason seized a long pole, with which he strove in vain to raise the sash so that the children could leap out.  In a minute the fire surged up to the window, and the father saw his children fall backward in the flames.



November 1879


    At 9:45 P.M., of Tuesday, as the Summit accommodation train on the Delaware, Lackawana & Western railroad, with four passenger cars attached, was starting from the depot in Hoboken, the boiler of the locomotive exploded with a report so loud that it was heard throughout the city.  The locomotive was upset and badly wrecked.  The sheds over the passenger ways on either side were demolished, and the debris was scattered for a great distance around.  The engineer, Wm. Swick, was found crushed to death under one of the driving wheels…  The body of Swick was sent to the morgue.  He leaves a wife and five children in Summit avenue.



    A lad about 12 years of age, named Chas. Felix Cowdrick, nephew of Capt. B. C. Cook, of the Ocean House, Toms River, was found dead in a bed room of the hotel on Tuesday morning.  Investigation showed that the unfortunate boy had died of suffocation, caused by coal gas, which escaping from the heater in the room through the stove pipe hole.



At Sand Brook, Nov. 5, 1879, of malarial fever, Clarence W., only child of Geo. H. and Mary D. Larue, of Newark, aged 1 year and 2 days.




October 1879


    In Lambertville, Oct. 4, 1879, of diphtheria, Charles Conrad, son of Calvin and Elizabeth Cooper, aged 3 years, 6 months and 14 days.



    In Lambertville, Oct. 8, 1879, of diphtheria, Mary Jane, daughter of Calvin and Elizabeth Cooper, aged 6 years, 3 months and 15 days.





September 1879


    A distressing accident occurred at Manalapan station on Tuesday morning last.  Frank, a three-year-old son of Mr. Joseph Herbert, who keeps the store near the station, was playing on the track, when conductor Riddle's express train from Freehold went along at the rate of fifty miles an hour.  The engine struck the little fellow on the head and hurled him from the track, killing him instantly....


    Mrs. Alonzo Blizzard, of Bridgeton, put her daughter, aged seven months to bed on Saturday morning last.  Going to it some time later, she was shocked to find it dead.  It had slipped between the bed and the wall, catching by its head, and was thus held until life was extinct.  The physician called in pronounced it a clear of accidental strangulation.


August 1879


    Last Tuesday noon, James C. W. Gandey, a thirteen year old son of William H. Gandey, of Lambertville, was drowned in the canal feeder at that place.  The Record says: He was engaged in fishing from the bridge and fell off.  Two or three lads who were with him endeavored to save him by extending a pole, but he did not appear to see it, and sank to the bottom.  This sad death is a severe blow to his parents, the more so, as he was their only son.




    On Thursday afternoon last, John, a fourteen-year-old son of John Alpaugh of Stockton, met with his death by being run over by a wagon laden with manure.  He was seated on the front of the wagon, and the mules which were attached to it, were frightened by a small dog which ran at them.  He was thrown from his seat, and so seriously injured that death took place in a short time.


Frank Ogden, an Elizabeth newsboy, was drowned at Bound Brook last week while bathing in the Delaware and Raritan canal.


    Ellen Brannigan, aged 3 years, of No. 138 Essex street, Newark, drank some eye water on Tuesday night last and gave some to her two brothers, aged two years and six months, respectively.  A physician was summoned, but the youngest child died in two hours.


Robert McAllister, aged 27 years, was killed by the caving in of a new shaft in the Glendon mine, at Easton, Pa., on Thursday.



    Miss Emily, daughter of George Wal?, resideing on the Spruce Run Hotel property, arose in good health on Thursday morning week, and while dressing to attend the Spruce Run Church Festival, died almost instantly.  Doctors Hunt and Davis made an examination on the body, and found that the bursting of a blood tumor was the cause of her death.  She was in her 19th year.


    An extraordinary and fatal event occurred at Hyde Park, Dutchess county, N.Y., on Wednesday, about 10 o'clock in the morning.  Charles E. Jewell is a New York policeman, who moved from Poughkeepsie to New York.  His family consisted of himself and wife and one child, a boy 10 years of age, named Tillson Jewell.  The latter has been spending his vacation with his grandmother, near Hyde Park....
    The boy was taken into the house and laid upon a lounge.  His attendants had much trouble in tearing his hands from his head, but finally succeeded, when it was discovered that he had been terribly stung by hornets.  He died in half an hour...


    A child of George B. Fisher, of Sparta, Sussex county, seated in a high chair, while being moved up to the tea table on Saturday evening, seized the tea pot and emptying the contents upon himself was so badly scalded that it died on Sunday night at about ten o'clock.


    We learn that a seven-year-old son of Frank Swinger, of Walnut township, died on Tuesday of last week.  He had been sick several weeks and after his death a post-mortem examination was made, when it was discovered that a number of watermelon seeds were lodged in his stomach and had become hardened in a lump.  During his illness he occasionally vomited up a seed and physicians tried to relieve him, but failed.


   A little girl aged three years, named Julia Corrigan, who was stopping with her uncle at Deans, near New Brunswick, was found drowned on Monday evening in a brook near the house.  She had evidently wandered away from the other children, and was not missed by them until so found.


Death In Toadstools
    A fatal case of poisoning by toadstools occurred at Linden, Union county, Monday, six member of the family of Frederick Lussig, a German, formerly employed on the farm of ex-Assemblyman Blancke, having been taken ill.  The toadstools were cooked for the Sunday evening meal.  Before morning all the family were affected.  At seven o'clock, Monday morning, Freddie, the youngest , one year old, died and at one o'clock in the afternoon, Lena, aged four, died also.  Monday evening the mother, Mrs. Matilda Lussig, was seriously ill.  The oldest child, Lizzie, aged seven, was believed to be out of danger and the second child, Annie, aged between five and six year, was in a dangerous condition and believe to be dying.  The father, who was absent when the supposed mushrooms were gathered and cooked, and who ate slightly, was not seriously affected and is out of danger.


The following, from the Elizabeth Journal, should be read carefully by the boys of this town:
    A very sad accident occurred last Wednesday in Roselle near the Central Railroad.  One of Reeve & Williams's ice wagons, loaded with large blocks of ice, was passing along the street, when Mr. Miller Moore's little son, aged 4 years, ran up behind the wagon, as boys frequently do, to get a piece of ice.  A large cake just at that moment toppled over and fell on the little boy, crushing him and killing him instantly.


July 1879


    On Sunday morning, a small son of Edward Errickson, of this city, was seriously burned while playing with matches.  It appears that by some means the little fellow got access to the match-safe and with a match set his clothing on fire. The flames were smothered, but unfortunately not until the lad's body was so badly burned that he died from the effects at an early hour on Tuesday morning.  -  Lambertville Record.


    On Tuesday afternoon, a colored child named John H. Pasco, aged 4 years, living at No. 39 Lane street, Paterson, while trying to dip a cup of water from a barrel spring near his home, fell in and was drowned.



    John O. Day, a Plainfield boy aged 14, was drowned while bathing in a pool of water in a brick yard near Netherwood, on Wednesday.  The lad was alone, and being seized with cramps was drowned before assistance could reach him.


    Jessie Dunbar, of Matawan, twenty years old, a music teacher, was walking in Toohey's Grove on Saturday afternoon and some boys throw fire-crackers, where they exploded under her skirts.  Her clothing caught fire and she was so severely burned that she died at 8 o'clock.


How Four Sisters Died
    A dispatch to the World on July 4 announces the drowning in North Carolina by the upsetting of a boat of the four daughters of Captain Appleton Oaksmith....  The father and two boys were saved.  The names of the girls were Bessie, aged twenty-one, born in New York; Corinne, aged nineteen, born in Brooklyn; Mildred, aged nine, born in England, and Pauline, aged sever, born on board the bark Troubadour, in the German ocean..

(note: It was rumored, though never proven, that Appleton murdered his daughters by drowning them. )


Link to the FindaGrave record of Appleton Oaksmith, which has all the links to the records of his drowned daughters.



Lizzie Matthews, aged eight years, was burned to death at South Amboy last Thursday afternoon, by attempting to kindle a fire with kerosene.  The can exploded, setting fire to her clothes.

    The bodies of George Bramell, aged twenty-two years, and his sister, aged seven years, who were drowned in the Delaware river in front of their residence, about a mile below  Billingsport, on Friday evening last, were recovered on Sunday afternoon, about a mile or a mile and a half from the scene of the disaster...

    A sad accident occurred at Monmouth Beach on Friday evening in the drowning of Willie Noyes, the son of Dr. Henry D. Noyes, physician of New York city, who has a cottage at Long Branch.  It appears that James Derwin, a boatman, accompanied by the boy, who was 9 years old, and a boat full of still younger children, started from the Monmouth Beach Cottage settlement in a sailboat up the Shrewsbury river.  After going as far as Seabright, the boatman undertook to tack, when the boom struck young Noyes and precipitated him into the water...

    One of the most terrible deaths imaginable befel Richard A. Jones, an employee of the Johnstown, Pa., Rod Mill.  His duty was to guide the red hot wires, which were being twisted into ropes, from one roller to another.  The wires twisting at the rate of 300 revolutions per minute, and at the time of the accident were as limber as twine, owing to their condition of almost white heat.  One end of the wire became krinkled, and flying from the roller wrapped tightly around the body of the unfortunate workman, who was standing close to the machine.  He was pulled on to his hands and knees as the wire moved on, and a second later another workman severed it with a blow of the axe; but Jones' death had been instantaneous.  In less than ten seconds the wire had passed completely through the body and both arms of the workman.

    Hattie Ludwig, a pretty young girl who for a number of years has lived near McKeesport, Pa., in the household of a rich farmer named Grey, left home a few weeks ago, and has been traced to Bonson, Ohio, where she has married a coarse and illiterate negro, who used to be in the employ of Mr. Grey.  The case is almost incredible, considering that the girl had received a liberal education and was connected with some of the best families of McKeesport, while Bronson, the negro, heavily built, coarse and repulsive featured, himself was married to a negro woman of his own kind, and the father of four children.

    At Springfield, Union county, Nellie Sullivan, aged 15 years, gave birth to an illegitimate child on the 11th of the present month.  Her father, Michael Sullivan, took the child and buried it alive, face downward.  The doctor demanded to see it, and after it was taken out of the ground it was revived and breathed for half an hour.  Sullivan was arrested and imprisoned, but declares that he thought the child was dead.  The girl tried to take all the blame from her father, saying that she thought, too, that the child was dead.  The father of the child is said by the girl to be a married man named Isidore Schallier.

June 1879


    During the week ending Sunday, five of the seven children of Gustav Albrecht, a shoemaker on Palisade avenue, Jersey City, died of small-pox.  The surviving two are low with the disease, but it is believed , are out of danger.  The children contracted the disease from a little friend living next door, who died.

    On Wednesday morning, of week before last, New York was horrified by the news that Mrs. J. L. DeForrest Hull, wife of Dr. A. G. Hull, had been found dead, gagged, tied and blindfolded, on the bed in her room at 140 West Forty-second St...



Sudden Death
    Last Thursday afternoon, Barzillai Robbins, a well-known citizen of Mattison's Corner, drove into town with his wife to do some shopping.  They had been here but a short time when Mr. Robbins complained of feeling unwell, and he was advised to sit down awhile in one of the chairs upon the Union Hotel porch.  Becoming worse, Dr. Keeler, was called and the suffering man was helped up stairs and put to bed.  He had scarcely been laid down when it was found that he was dying.  He had for some time been subject to heart disease and his sudden and unexpected taking off is attributed to this disease.  Mr. Robbins was a worthy man, and his death is widely lamented.




    Miss Sallie Sutton, aged 80 years, living in Harrison county, was frightened by a bumble bee which flew into the room, and attempting to escape from it, fell to the floor, receiving injuries from which she died.  -  Louisville Courier-Journal.


Sad Disaster Near Trenton
    An excursion resort one mile below Trenton, called Morris Island, was the scene of a fatal disaster on the afternoon of July 4th.  As the excursion boat was approaching the wharf hundreds of persons on the island rushed toward it to get on board when it landed.  The wharf suddenly gave way under the weight, and about seventy-five persons were thrown into the river. - There was the greatest excitement.  Several were taken out injured.  Mrs. Andrew Johnson, her little son 5 years old, and a little girl named Miller were drowned.


    Two brothers, George and Eldridge Ryan, aged respectively 13 and 9 years, living at Harrison, were amusing themselves with a revolver on Monday last.  They then went bathing, after which George again began playing with the pistol, prying up the hammer with a nail.  While doing so the hammer slipped and the weapon was discharged, the ball entering the left side of his little brother, just below the heart.  The boy died before medical attendance could be produced.


May 1879


    Thomas Regan, a boy 12 years of age, was left alone at his home on Beacon avenue, Jersey City Heights, Tuesday evening and fell from a chair into a pot of boiling water which stood on the floor by his side.  He was horribly scalded and died in less than an hour.


Death Of An Aged Colored Woman
    There died in New Haven, Conn., on Friday, May 2d, a colored woman named Elizabeth Hendrickson, who claimed and was supported by relatives and friends in the claim, that she was 113 years old.  She was well known, and in 1876 she attended the loan exhibition of relics, and was an object of curiosity to many people.  There is no reliable data upon which to determine her age.  A man died not long ago at the age of 80 years, whom she said she nursed when an infant.  She had been married three times, and had children by her first husband, but they died of old age some years ago.  She claimed to have helped when ten years old, to put out a fire in New Jersey caused by British soldiers in the revolutionary war.


Isaac B. Manning, of Mt. Pleasant, has been sorely afflicted lately.  In March he buried a lovely daughter and last week a grown-up son - both victims of that terrible scourge, consumption.



    A five month old child John Scully, of East Newark, was accidentally smothered to death on Tuesday night, about 10 o'clock, in the absence of its parents.


    On Saturday afternoon last a little colored girl, named Maggie Franklin, living with C. N. Staats, near Bound Brook, fell into the canal and was drowned.


    Richard Farren, a boy 9 years old, came to his death in a singular manner in Everett, Mass., last Thursday afternoon.  He had been amusing himself by hanging between the stringers of a bridge on the Eastern Railroad, and pulling himself up so that his head extended above the rails.  While in this position and watching an approaching train on the inward track, a train came up behind him on the outward track and severed his head from his body.


A Baby Killed On The Rail
    A Lancaster, Pa., dispatch says: This morning (Friday) about 7 o'clock, as the Harrisburg Express on the Pennsylvania R.R. was passing Salunga, several miles west of the city, the engineer discovered a child, about twenty months' old, sitting on the track.  Before he could stop the train it was struck and instantly killed.  The infant was a son of Abram Hall, who lives near the railroad.


    Walter, son of John Henry, of Crosswicks, Burlington county, whose foot was badly cut with glass about a year ago, has just died of lockjaw, supposed to be  caused by portions of the glass remaining in his foot.


    Mrs. Rebecca Layman, wife of Captain Nelson Layman, of Pedricktown, Salem county, died on Tuesday, 13th inst., of lockjaw, caused by running a splinter in her thumb.  She was taken on Sunday and for three days suffered intensely.


Wholesale Poisoning in Vermont
    Eleven children have died from drinking poisoned water from a brook at Newark, Vt., and two others are not expected to live.  The brook had been polluted by the carcasses of some sheep and a horse.  A Mrs. Morse lost two children, Mrs. Aldrich two, Mrs. Carpenter three, and two other of hers it is said will die, taking her entire family....  The latest dispatch received states that two more children of John Aldrich have died from drinking the poisoned water, making five - his entire family.  Mrs. Aldrich is insane.
  More here

FindaGrave Freddie Aldrich 

FindaGrave Jennie Aldrich 

FindaGrave Jimmy Aldrich 

FindaGrave Mary Aldrich 

FindaGrave Willie Aldrich 




April 1879

    Ira S. Remey, a farmer aged 42 years, formerly a man of wealth, who lived in Westtown, ten miles south of Middletown, N.Y., was found dead on Friday night, lying on an unfrequented road a mile from his home, where he had perished from exposure.  He was of intemperate habits.  He leaves a wife and several young children.




    At the funeral of William, a son of Mr. David Dilts, which took place on the 5th inst., near Three Bridges, there were present five grandfathers of the deceased - three great grandfathers - two grandfathers - and further, their wives are all living and some of them were at the funeral.




Finding His Daughter's Body
    Jacob Eder, of Sayresville, N.J., last Tuesday identified as that of his daughter, the body of the girl found in the water near Sandy Hook.  Mr. Eder, who is a German, and is employed in one of the brick-yards at Sayresville, states that on the afternoon of Saturday, January 11th, his two daughters, Frances and Margaret respectively ten and thirteen years old, and a little friend named Katie Mitchell, were on the ice on the Raritan river.  Katie and Margaret were drawing Frances on a small hand-sled, and had been so engaged for a long time.  Some men on a sloop anchored in the river some little distance off heard a shriek, and saw that all the children had broken through an air-hole in the ice.  Rushing to the spot, the men rescued one of the children, Margaret Eder, who was clinging to the edge of the ice, but the two other girls had gone under the ice, being carried away by the tide, which was running fast.  This happened in sight of the house where the Eder family lived, and the whole affair was witnessed by several persons from the shore.  These persons were too far off to render any assistance.  Since that time, up to last Saturday, over three months, nothing was heard of the bodies of either of the lost girls.  On Saturday, was a fisherman was following his vocation in the Raritan river, about two miles from Sayresville, toward Amboy, he discovered, on the shore, the body of Kate Mitchell.  On Sunday the body of Frances Eder was found at Sandy Hook by Keeper of Light-house, John A. Sutton, almost twenty-miles from the scene of the accident.


Burned To Death In A Hotel
    A Scranton, Pa., dispatch says: last Wednesday night John Keough, proprietor of the Rising Sun Hotel, at Carbon Hill, and his family, retired to rest.  The family consisted of three sons and two daughters, and the father.  The sons occupied one room, the daughters a second and the father slept alone.  At 1 o'clock, Keough was awakened by hearing one of his daughter scream "Fire!" and on going down stairs he found the entire lower portion of the house in flames.  Hastening to the room where his sons were sleeping, he caught up the youngest and rushed with him down stairs, supposing that the others were following.  When he reached the yard he discovered that they remained in the building.  He returned to rescue them but the entire house was by this time enveloped in flames, and Keough, blinded by the smoke and severely burned by the fire, was forced to retire without finding the children.  In the meantime, one of the boys and the elder daughter had succeeded in escaping by the back stairs, but one of the boys, William, age 13, and the younger daughter, Margaret, aged 12, were burned to death....  Keough and one of the boys who escaped were so severely injured by the flames that they are expected to die....


Feb. 1879

    On Wednesday last, Patrick Gerty, a Lambertville lad aged about 14 years was killed by being run over by a train of cars upon which he, with some other boys, was stealing a ride.  His head was crushed shapeless, one leg was cut off entirely, and the other almost severed from the body.


    Diphtheria prevails to an alarming extent in Bedminister, Somerset county.  We hear a sad instance of its ravages in the family of a German named Godfried Dourrick, who, on Monday Feb. 24th, lost his daughter Caroline, aged 7 years; on Wednesday, 26th, a son Charles, aged 5 years; and on the 28th, another daughter, Catharine, aged 3 years.


    A very sad and sudden death occurred at Peapack, Somerset county, on the evening of the 4th inst.  Mary, daughter of William Vandorn, was taken with the measles and shortly after her brother was also taken.  She got up to attend to some of his wants, took cold, and died in less than three hours.


January 1879


    On Tuesday last, Miss Walker, residing at Brecon Mills, Ontario, suddenly dropped dead.  Her betrothed, Edward Cousins, hearing of her death, cut his throat, and Miss Walker's mother, on seeing her daughter's corpse, also dropped dead.


    Emma Lang, a child about twelve years of age, died at her mother's house in Jersey City on Friday last, and the certificated signed by the physician states that the cause of death was overwork and nervous prostration.  The child has two young brothers and the three children are said to have been very cruelly treated by their mother.


October 1860

Melancholly Burning Fluid Accident

    On Thursday evening, Sep. 20, Mrs. Derrick Mattis, of Branchburgh, attempted to fill a fluid lamp when lighted; it took fire in an instant. She and her four children under six years of age, and a daughter of F. S. Mattis, ten years old, were enveloped in flames. Before assistance could be rendered they were so badly burned that two of her children and the little niece who was with her on a visit have since died. Mrs. Mattis is badly burned. The two surviving children are doing as well as could be expected.

On Friday, Sept., 21 at the home of her uncle, in Branchburgh, Mary Jane, daughter of F.S. Mattis, aged 10 years.



September 1860


    In Lambertville, N.J., on the 26th ult., of diphtheria, Margaretta Jane, in the 15th year of her age: and on the 30th ult., of the dame disease, Mary Scott in her eleventh year, children of the Rev. Benjamin and Mary S. Carrell


May 1860


    The body of Wm. Sharp, Jr., son of Judge Jacob Sharp of Belvidere, was found on Tuesday evening near the Railroad Bridge at Easton. The body was in a solid condition his skull cracked and brains out and one are broken.




January 1860


Affecting Death

    Mr. Mahlon Barber, a worthy farmer of Sparta township, in this county, aged 40 years, recently exhibited symptoms of inacuity, which continued to increase in intensity, until last week it was deemed judicious to place him in the Lunatic Asylum. He was conveyed to that institution on Thursday, and on Saturday morning was found dead in his bed. He was affected with a pulmonary complaint, and a few days before his death refused to take any sustenance... (Sussex Register).



Died  Feb. 1860

    Near the White House, Jan. 31st, of Croup, Melvin Augustus, son of Adrain H. and Mary Ann Pickel, aged 7 years and 20 days.




    February 9th, of the same disease, Arvilla, youngest daughter of the above named parents, aged 1 year and 24 days.




At Sandyridge, Feb. 26, Charles Leslie, son of Robert and Elizabeth Sharp, aged 4 years and 11 months.



September 1850

    At Goshen, Ohio, on the 20th ult., a young man named William Henry hung himself.  He had been paying his addresses to a young lady of Goshen; she died, and her lover could not survive her; he left his father's house in an excited state in the evening and was found suspended and dead in the barn next morning.


In Raritan, on the 10th inst., of obstruction of the bowels, Mr. Thomas S. Fisher, in the 20th year of his age.



    In Plainfield, Sept. 11th, of Whooping Cough, J. Larew, aged 8 months and 4 days.

    On Sept. 7th, Mary Elizabeth Larew, aged 2 years, 2 months and 17 days.

Near Ringoes, on the 22d ult., Anna Augusta, only child of Peter and Mary Ann Gary, aged 8 months.




    On the 16th inst., near Quakertown, after a short but severe illness, Jonathan H., eldest son of Hiram and Rebecca Deats, in the 10th year of his age.





Killed by Lightning
        On the 4th of July, a son of Dr. Walker, of Washington, Texas, aged 18 years, was engaged in swarming a hive of bees.  He was in a small tree sawing off a limb, when he was struck dead by lightning.

July 1850

    On the fourth, a son of Mrs. Ruth Merrill, of Hampstead, N.H., about 13 years old, snapped a pistol several times at a squirrel, but not succeeding in discharging it snapped it at his companion, who, through fear, immediately fled.  He then pointed it towards himself, and once more snapped it, when the power took fire and the contents of the pistol were lodged in his body, causing speedy death.

    Burnt To Death
        A child of Mr. William Miller, living on the opposite side of the river below Foul Raft was burnt to death on Saturday last.  Its mother had gone to draw some water at a spring on the other side of the river, and during her absence the child climbed upon the table and found some matches from which the flames were communicated to its dress.  On the return of the mother, the little sufferer was living but beyond all hope of recovery .

        A little son of Mr. Joseph H. Van Derhorf, aged about 9 years, a few days ago while playing on the back of the canal basin at the lower part of the town in company with another boy slipped in and before assistance could be afforded was drowned

.Six Children Burnt To Death - Albany, July 9
    Last week a Mr. Knox, of Bristol, Ottawa, Canada, was killed on board a Steamboat on the Rideau Canal.  Mrs. Knox, hearing that persons were coming with the remains of her unfortunate husband, went out to meet them, taking with her the youngest child.  She left six of her children in charge of the house.  During her absence, the house took fire and the whole six children were burnt to death.


June 1850

Additional Particulars of the Burning of the Steamer Giffith - Buffalo, June 18
    The number of passengers on board is thus stated, viz: Steerage 256, cabin 45, crew 25 - total 326.
    Not a female or child was saved except the barber's wife.
    The number of those saved on the beach was only 40.  None of the books were saved, therefore a list of names of passengers cannot be given...
    The Steamer Troy, which arrived this morning, furnishes the following additional particulars: Among the lost was Capt. Roby, wife and daughter, Michael June, 3d engineer; Mr. Mann, wheelman; Treiley, 1st porter; Tillman and Paulding, saloon keepers; the wife and child of Wm. Tinkcom; R.A. Pardu of Beaver, Pa.; C. Leonard, porter; D. Weaver, waiter; Mrs. Wilkinson and daughters; F. J. Champion; in all about 250, of whom the bodies of 150 were lying on the beach near the scene of disaster, when the Troy left.



May 1850

Child Drowned
    On Tuesday afternoon last, a little son of Mr. Sidney Reading, of this place, was missing and search was made for him for two or three hours without success.  About 9 o'clock he was found in a large cistern near the house.  It is supposed he had been 2 or 3 hours in the water when found.



April 1850

Dreadful Power Explosion in Sussex Co.
    The Register gives an account of the explosion of the Power Magazine of the Andover Mine in that County, on last Tuesday noon, producing a concussion which was sensibly felt at the distance of 10 or 12 miles and destroying two lives.  In Newton, 5 miles from the scene, every house was shaken.
    The conviction was immediate and general says the Register, that a large quantity of power had exploded and soon a dense cloud of smoke arising in the south indicated with some degree of certainty, that the Mine was the central point of the alarming concussion.  Two promising boys of Mr. William S. Johnson, one of 12 and the other of 14 were instantly killed....



Terrible Bereavement
    We notice in the Baltimore papers the announcement of the death from Scarlet Fever, of seven children, sons and daughters of Alfred and Mary Maccubbin, all within the space of one month.



Murder Near Paterson
    We are indebted to the Paterson Guardian for the following particulars of a murder or murders committed on the night of the 8th inst., at G_ffle, a place within three miles of Paterson.
    The victims are John S. Van Winkle and his wife, an aged couple, and long residents of the country....



January 23, 1850

Two Children Burned To Death
    A most distressing event occurred on Tuesday morning, by which two interesting children of Mr. Leslie, residing in Church st. between Cumberland and Market st., were deprived of life and their parents rendered childless.  We understand that Mrs. Leslie, left her children sleeping - a little girl, aged four, in bed, and and infant boy, aged eighteen months in a cradle, and locking the door, went to market.  Upon her return she found the little girl prostrate near the candle, almost burned to a crisp, and the infant's clothes all on fire.  The eldest expired in a few minutes and the infant lingered until yesterday morning.



 A two-year-old child of Peter Michael, of Pahaquarry Township near the Water Gap, fell backwards in a pail of scalding water on the 14th inst., and was so badly burned that it died next day.  The family was in the room at the time and saw the child fall in, but it was wedged so tight in the pail that it could not be freed before it was so scalded that it was thrown into fits.



A 12-year-old son of Mr. Godfrey Bellis, of Milford, died on the 12th inst., after only a few days sickness from diphtheria.




     Mrs. Mercy Ann Fowler, of Chambersburg, committed suicide last Thursday by hanging herself in the cellar.  The woman was deserted ten years ago by a man named Cubberly.  She then married John Fowler, a carpenter, but on Wednesday her first husband returned, and because of her martial complication she killed herself.

FindaGrave  +  FindaGrave



Seven Children Drowned

     Seven children, four of them sisters, were out skating on Sand lake about ten miles east of Ennis, Texas, last Wednesday afternoon, when two of the sister, the daughters of Wm. Williams, and a young man named Babbitt, fell through the thin ice and were drowning.  Seeing the danger of the trio, Babbitt’s sister and the other two Williams girls, aged nine and thirteen years, went to their rescue.  The rescuing party also fell in, as did a little son of Williams, who tried to help the drowning girls.

     One of the girls saved the boy by throwing him on to the ice, but all the rest of the party were drowned, together with an older Williams boy.  The mother of the Williams girls came near drowning and was only saved by being thrown a rope, by which was dragged out.  All the bodies were recovered, as the water was only seven feet deep, and seven coffins now hold the bodies of the members of the skating party.



When the wife of A. J. Ellis, living at No. 1113 Harrison Street, Kansas City, Mo., woke up last Wednesday morning she found her month-old twin children, a boy and a girl, dead by her side.  The little ones had been accidentally smothered in bed.




At Brownwood, Texas, City Marshal Butler and wife were kept up nearly all of Tuesday night by a sick child.  About three o’clock both fell asleep, with the baby lying asleep between them.  When they awoke the baby was gone.  A search discovered it dead in a cistern.  No servants were employed, and the only theory held is that one of the parents drowned the child in a fit of somnambulism.  Whoever did the terrible act carried the child through the house, opened and closed two doors, and after putting it in the cistern, replaced the cistern cover and set the water bucket on top of it.



     About six weeks ago, Edward Irvin, aged 74, a blacksmith in Somerset County, felt a dull pain in one of his great toes.  On removing his stocking at night he found a brass eyelet from his shoe embedded in the flesh of his toe.  He dressed the place with salve, but the leg began to swell and the toes turned black in a few days, and he was taken to Muhlenberg Hospital, Plainfield, where he is slowly dying from gangrene, which has affected both legs so as to render amputation useless.  His death is only a question of a few days.


A Faithful Dog

     John Faust, aged 19, was accidentally killed by William Brigman, aged 17, at Columbia, S. C., last Monday.  Faust wished to shoot Brigman’s pistol, and Brigman was explaining how the pistol was broken and would not shoot, when it was discharged, the ball passing through Faust’s heart.  For eight hours a dog belonging to deceased prevented any one from approaching his dead master.  Before the Coroner could hold an inquest the dog had to be almost killed.

Four children of Anton Schall, a Jersey City silverplater, who is out of work and destitute, have died within three weeks of scarlet fever, and his only surviving child is dying of the disease.

     Charles and Thomas Gast, of Bonhamtown, Middlesex County, while skating over the thin ice covering Egert’s mill dam at that place on Monday, broke through the surface.  Charles, the younger, aged 12 years, clung to his brother, who held on to the ice, which soon gave way.  Miss McGinnis, a neighbor’s daughter, secured a board and attempted to save the boys, and Thomas succeeded in dragging himself from the water.   His brother same beneath the ice and was drowned.  The body was recovered.


January 1888

Mrs. Annie Weber, of Louisville, Ky., was found frozen to death on Sunday morning sitting on a stump at the north gate of National Park, where she had gone while drunk.  She had an industrious husband and eleven children.



A two-year-old child of Joseph Merritt, druggist, at Woodbury, fell out of a chair, Tuesday morning, and was injured so badly is the third child that Mr. Merritt has lost within a month, two others dying of scarlet fever about two weeks ago.





Fatal End Of A Spree

     At a Christmas debauch last Monday night at Exeter Borough, Pa., near West Pittston, Edward McMullen and Annie McMullen and Bessie, their daughter, became so intoxicated that they went to sleep, leaving Bessie’s daughter, 4 years of age, in the kitchen.  The child’s dress caught fire, and she tried to arouse the inmates, but failed.  The house took fire, and the child was burned to a crisp.  Her mother died on Tuesday from her injuries.  The others were badly burned.


     The body of Willie Steele, a 13 year-old lad, who has been missing from his home in Trenton for a month, was found last Thursday under the ice in the canal basin.  It was believed at first that the lad had been abducted, and the public excitement over his disappearance was so great at the time that the City Council offered a reward for him, dead or alive.


     A young daughter of Joseph Merritt, a druggist of Woodbury, died last Thursday after a few hours illness.  It is supposed that the cause of death was the eating of candies from a Christmas tree.  Another child, about 8 years old, is dangerously ill from the same cause.


     While William Jones, of Malaga, N.J., was carrying a package of gunpowder in the upper pocket of his coat last Thursday, he thoughtlessly placed in the same pocket a lighted pipe.  There soon followed a terrific explosion, which tore off his arm and otherwise injured him.  His recovery is doubtful.


     Daniel Stillwell, aged 70 years, a highly respected citizen of South Pittsburg, Tenn., froze to death on Monday while attempting to make his way home from the Alabama State line, seven miles distance.


     Joseph Faivre, 80 years old, was frozen to death on Christmas morning in Perry County, Mo., while on his way to church.




 Fatal End Of A Spree

     At a Christmas debauch last Monday night at Exeter Borough, Pa., near West Pittston, Edward McMullen and Annie McMullen and Bessie, their daughter, became so intoxicated that they went to sleep, leaving Bessie’s daughter, 4 years of age, in the kitchen.  The child’s dress caught fire, and she tried to arouse the inmates, but failed.  The house took fire, and the child was burned to a crisp.  Her mother died on Tuesday from her injuries.  The others were badly burned.


Killed His Child In His Rage

     John North reeled from the doorway of his residence, at 327 South Twenty-fifth Street, Philadelphia, last Wednesday, in a drunken condition and sought a 5th district police officer, into whose charge he committed himself while relating the circumstances which had led him to commit a horrible crime.  North and his wife had been drinking freely during the day, and toward evening they quarreled.  After a few hot words had been exchanged he became enraged at his wife, and aimed a blow at her head.  Mrs. North was holding her babe of three months in her arms at the time, and attempted to dodge the blow.  The child caught the full force of the blow on the side of its face and fell from its mother’s arms to the floor dead.



Strange Fatality

     At Atlanta, Ga., last Wednesday night, Fritz Ryan, the son of Mrs. Mary E. Ryan, the Southern authoress, was amusing himself with fireworks.  One of his pieces was a cotton ball, framed on several small hoops, which he would dip into kerosene, and applying a match, throw it up.  The burning ball fell back quickly, struck his head and set his head on fire.  The ball was fastened upon his head by a protuberance through one of the hoops.  He was seized, and his head stuck into the sand as the only means of stifling the flames.  He was horribly disfigured, and cannot survive.


Miss Belle Smith, residing in the village of Chauncey, Ill., was engaged in sweeping around an open fireplace on Christmas Eve, when her clothing caught fire and she was burned to death.  The ceased was to have been married next day.



Thursday, May 19, 1887
At North Branch on the 11th, Alexander Hoy's little son spilled a bottle of carbolic acid over his body.
The stuff burned the child from his head to his feet, and he will probably die.

Thursday, May 19, 1887,
George Smith's two year old child at William's, Bay county, died last week in great agony after eating heartly of canned peaches.


August 31, 1848
Died - At Florence, Ill, on the 27th inst., Louisa Jane, infant daughter of Milton and Mary Ann Hendricks.

Also - In Winchester, on the 28th inst., Mary Ellen, daughter of E. G. and Sophronia Miner, aged 1 year and 8 days.

Thursday, June 2, 1887,
A polish boy five years old was struck in the stomach by a base ball while watching a game at Grand Rapids last week and instantly killed.

September 21, 1848
Died - At Griggsville on the 18th of September inst, of Scarlet fever,
William S. Barnard, only son of Mr. Jas. S. barnard.

The deceased was aged six years and six months, and was a boy of intelligence and promise.

We deeply sympathize with the afflicted parents in their sad bereavement.

Thursday, July 14, 1887,
An 8 year old son of Conductor Hubbard, of Port Huron, was hit on the nose by a batted ball, Friday and gradually bled to death dying Monday.


4 Feb 1870

Fatal Accident. - Mr. Addison BENTON, of Virgil, met with a fatal accident last Wednesday morning.

He, together with some of his neighbors, were chopping in the woods on Wager Hill.

Soon after they commenced work, Mr. BENTON came to Mr. SHEPPARD who was at work only a short distance from where BENTON had been chopping and said to SHEPPARD that he had cut his leg and he guessed that he had cut it pretty badly, and thought he would go home.

Mr. BENTON started for home but before he got out of sight, Mr. SHEPPARD saw him fall, when he ran to his assistance,

but life was almost, if not quite extinct when he reached him.

Upon examination it was found that the axe had cut quite a gash in his leg just below the knee severing the main artery.

Mr. BENTON was a son of Isaac BENTON, and was universally respected in the community where he resided.

He was about 20 years of age.
Virgil Rural Cemetery
Cortland County
New York, USA

Thursday, July 14, 1887,
Hebert, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. John A. France, died on Wednesday morning of cholera infantum, after a few hours illness.


Thursday, July 14, 1887,
Mrs. Gleason, of Jonesville, Hillsdale Co., daughter of W. C. Knox of this place, arrived here on the 2d, with her three children on a visit to her parents.
That evening her baby aged three month was taken ill and on Sunday the little one died. On Thursday last her little two year old son died,
and at this writing the remaining child is very low. The death of the little boy was the eight that has occurred in Mr. Knox's family since September last.
Mrs. Gleason's visit has been a very sad one to her.



Thursday, July 14, 1887,
A five year old son of Mr. F. Fleming, manager of the Sault Brick & Tile company, died suddenly this week.

Le Roy, N.Y. May 18, 1914 
 Word was received here this morning of the death of
Laura PARMELEE, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Howard PARMELEE, former
residents of Le Roy, which occurred on Saturday in Indianapolis. The remains
will be brought to Le Roy tomorrow and the funeral will be held Wednesday
afternoon from the home of her uncle, Frank CURTIS.


Thursday, July 28, 1887

Freddie, infant son of Fred W. and Lulu Roach, died of cholera infantum on Sunday evening last, the 24th inst.,

at 5:30 o'clock,aged nearly four months.

He was born on Sunday April 4 at 5:30 p.m., and his death occurring on a Sunday at the same hour, was deemed not a little remarkable by his parents and their friends.The funeral took place from the residence of Mr. A. B. Roach on Monday last, the Rev. Mr. Cory officiating.

The parents have the warm sympathy of a large circle of friends in their affliction,
particularly as the young mother was just convalescing from nearly fatal illness and it was feared that the loss of the child might cause a relapse.

However, no danger is now apprehended,
as Mrs. Roach is in a fair way of recovery, which is a matter of rejoicing to her family and friends.



On the 20th of April, in Kent county, Mich., of dropsy, MENNO, son of Isaac DETWEILER, aged 12 years, 10 months and 20 days.

He was buried on the 1st of May, on which occasion, Henry Wismer and Samuel Sherk preached funeral discourses.

Before he died, he told his mother not to feel so sad over him; he bade the family farewell, and said to his father he should pray and sing,

and then died. Let us remember his advice.
Holy Corners Cemetery
Kent County
Michigan, USA



Thursday, August 4, 1887,
The infant son of William and Anna Sparling, died Friday morning last, aged 13 months.

It was their only child and an exceedingly bright and interesting boy, who was the idol of its parents.
There friends will unite in sympathy in their bereavement.



Rochester, Monroe, NY, The Rochester Herald, Wed., Nov. 30, 1892
Agnes CAREY, aged 27 years, died Saturday at the home of her brother, 6 Orange Street.

The funeral will take place at 9.30 o'clock this morning from the house, and at 10 o'clock from St. Patrick's Cathedral.
At a meeting of the Master Plumbers' Association held last evening appropriate resolutions on the death of William REID were presented by the following committee and adopted: Henry HART. George HENIGAN, William WIDMAN.

Bastina ANGELO, aged 28 years, died yesterday at the City Hospital, after a long and painful illness.

Carrie A., daughter of Sebastian and Caroline KERBER, died yesterday at the family residence, 51 Alphonse Street, aged eighteen years.

Adam, son of Max and Mary KRAMER, died yesterday morning at the family residence, 22 Pardee Terrace, aged six years.

Mount Hope Cemetery



Thursday, August 18, 1887,
The infant son of Mrs. John Knox died on Monday last of cholera infantum.

This is the sixth child she has lost and her husband died less than a year ago.
She has the sympathy of the entire community in this, her sad bereavement.




On the 2nd of June, in Nicholson township, Fayette Co., Pa., BARBARA, wife of Josiah BAER and daughter of Bishop Nicholas Johnson,

aged 40 years, 2 months and 2 days.

She leaves a husband and seven children, of which the two youngest were twin daughters, only a few days old, which she named Magdalena and Mary before she died.

Her brothers and sisters and friends stood round her bedside weeping, but she told them not to weep for her,

and urged them to fill her place in the church of which she was a member for some time.

Funeral services were conducted by Joseph Y. Cover.

Her infants died, the one on the 1st, the other on the 2nd of July, and were buried on the 3rd.

Honsaker Johnson Cemetery-Nicholson Township
Fayette County
Pennsylvania, USA





On the 18th of June, in Woolwich township, Waterloo Co., Ont., MICHAEL BRUBACHER, aged 27 years, 9 months and 18 days.

He struck his foot against a splinter, which penetrated the flesh between the large and second toes.

He drew out the splinter and the wound healed. In ten days however he felt pains in his back and other parts of the body.

He went to see a physician to whom the case seemed singular and he called other physicians, and the foot was opened and another piece of splinter was found and taken out.

But the pains continued to increase, his mouth and all the limbs of the body became stiff and death put an end to his suffering.

He leaves his mourning friends the comfort that their loss is his eternal gain. He leaves a widow and one child.

He was a member of the Mennonite church. He was buried on the 20th at Conestoga where Lewis Koch and A. B. Martin preached funeral discourses, to a large concourse of people.

Saint Jacobs Mennonite Cemetery

St. Jacobs Ontario, Canada




James Branch Walthall: Nov 24 , 1861
Staunton; pneumonia; 18 years; Parents: E.B. & P.R. Walthall; 
Inf: E.B. Walthall, father.
Bethel Methodist Church Cemetery 
Thursday, October 6, 1887,
Milan had a case of cheese poisoning last week, in the family of S. H. Evans. The entire family partook of milk freely Friday and with one exception all were taken suddenly ill. 
Physicians were summoned and suspician turned toward the milk. Prof. Vaughan, of the University, was sent for and pronounced it a sure case of the effects of tyrotoxican. 
A boy of 12 or 14 years of age died Saturday; Mrs. Evans on Sunday, and it is feared one daughter may not recover. Mr. Evans is now believed to be out of danger.

Sat 2 Feb 1867

Wood County, West Verginia

Fatal Result of Accident. The unfortunate child of James W. Dils, Linnie, who was accidentally burned severely on Tuesday last, expired from the injuries yesterday. It is a surprise to us that more accidents of the kind do not occur from the custom of using grate fires around which children constantly gather and play. This sad occurrence, so purely accidental and unavoidable, should be turned to account in the future as illustrating the absolute necessity of constantly guarding against the possibility of such a calamity among little ones in families being repeated in our community.
Parkersburg Memorial Gardens Parkersburg
Wood County
West Virginia, USA
Thursday, October 13, 1887,
Died- On Thursday, the 6th inst., of diphtheria, Harry T. Fitch, only son of Mr. and Mrs. James E. Fitch, after an illness, of only a few days. 
From the first of his illness he seemed to anticipate approaching death and although only seven years old, he talked of his going away as of going home, 
and tried to comfort his mother and sister, and urged them not to weep for him. 
May, 1881

"The Five Year Old Boy of Mr. John Ruter Run Over and Killed by the Cars."

At 9 1/2 o'clock yesterday (Sunday) morning the two boys of Mr. John Ruter,
freight agent of the L. N. A. & C. in this city, attempted to cross the
track at the depot just as a freight train of twenty cars moved forward.
The children tried to pass under the cars. One of them succeeded in doing
so, but the other was caught by the trucks of a heavily loaded lumber car
and his head, from the mouth upward, separated from the body, and the
fingers of his right hand badly mangled.

The following is the testimony in the case taken before Coroner Lemon.

George Clipper sworn - Saw the child killed; saw the wheels pass over the
body. Have seen the child with Mr. Ruter's family. I was standing at
street and railroad crossing on Sycamore street. Saw the oldest boy come
through under the cars, which attracted my attention. Heard him scream, and
looking saw the youngest boy lying on the track. The train was pulling out
from the depot. There were 15 or 20 cars in the train when it passed over
the boy. Saw the child that was run over lying dead on its face. Jasper
Woods, Mr. Shea and myself were standing together. I did not recognize
where the child was at the time. The train was just starting out and was
moving slowly. The oldest boy was badly frightened and made a good deal of
noise, and this attracted our attention. Do not know th regular time for
the cars to go out.
Read more testimonies form witnesses here
May 16, 1881
The funeral of Major, the five year old son of Mr. John Ruter, killed by the
cars yesterday, took place this afternoon and was largely attended. Mr. and
Mrs. Ruter have the sympathy of all our citizens in the calamity that has
overtaken them.
Thursday, October 27, 1887,
A Young Girl Cremated
The first young girl to be cremated in America was 9 year-old Alida Weissleder, the daughter of the superintendent of the Brush Electric Light company in Cincinati. 
Her body was burned last week at the crematory in that city.

Thursday, October 27, 1887,


Otter Belt, one of the greatest of Comanche chiefs, died in Indian Territory a few days ago.

Five minutes before his death they held him erect and rigged him out in his best war costume.
They painted him red, set his war bonnet on his head, tied up his hair in beaver skins, and laid him down just as he died.
Then his five wives took sharp butcher knives, slashed their faces with long, deep cuts, cut themselves in other places,

and beat their bleeding bodies and pulled their hair.
They also burned everything they had, tepees, furniture, and even most of the clothing they had on.

A big crowd of bucks looked on and killed ten horses,
including a favorite team of Fress Addington, on whose ranch Otter Belt lived.



Wed 22 Dec 1866


Wood County, West Verginia

Death of Col. J. J. Polsley. - Our citizens were startled on last Monday morning by the intelligence of the sudden death of John J. Polsley, late Lieut. Col. of the 7th West Va. Vet. Cavalry.

He was upon our street on Saturday, apparently in usual health, and the sad intelligence of his decease sent a thrill of awe through our whole community.

The members of his late regiment and others held a meeting on Monday afternoon, at which resolutions of respect for his memory were adopted.

We learn that Mrs. Polsley is lying severely, even dangerously ill. She has the sympathy of the community in her bereavement.

The funeral took place from his residence, on 2d street, the 12th inst., at 11 o'clock. ; West Va. Journal.

Spring Hill Cemetery



As reported in the The Sonoma County Journal CA. of August 1856
We find in the San Francisco papers, notice made of the sudden death in
that city, on the morning of the 18th inst., of Mr. Mathias PURCELL,
formerly of Santa Rosa. A 'post mortem', examination of the body was
held by Drs. ROWELL and KIRKPATRICK, who reported his death to have been
occasioned by dropsy on the brain, superinduced by excessive drinking.
PURCELL is the same man who came near being burnt to death at Santa Rosa
a few months since at the time his house was consumed. His wife perished
in the flames.



Thursday, December 29, 1887,
On Christmas morning at the residence of his parents, occurred the death of Willie, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. W. P. Danskin.
The young man had been sick for a number of weeks and latterly he seemed to be gaining,

but it proved to be only a temporary rally and hopes doomed to disappointment....
The funeral took place yesterday afternoon from the Presbyterian church and was very largely attended.





On the 3rd of June, in Union Township, Elkhart Co., Ind., JACOB son of Christian STAHLY, age 21 years and 11 months.

Funeral sermons were preached by Abm. Mast, of Ohio, and J. C. Schlabach, of Marshall Co., Indiana.

Union Center Cemetery



July 29, 1847 at Pittsfield
Died - On the 19th inst, Jacob, son of Mr. Joseph Alkire, of Pleasant Vale
township, aged ten years, of that most frightful of maladies, hydrophobia.
[rabies] The deceased was bitten about the middle of last May, was taken to
the mad stone which failed to effect a cure; and persons who are bitten
should not place much confidence in cures said to have been effected thru
such means.



Saturday, January 28, 1888
Two boys, orphan sons of W. Weatherbee, aged 9 and 11 years suffered a horrible death at Benona, Oceana County, Wednesday.

They were digging a well when the earth caved in upon them, smothering the lads long before help reached them.



August 26, 1847
Died - In Griggsville, on the 2??h, July, Julia Maria, only daughter of
William and Sarah Gieer, aged 7 months and nine days.
Ah! lovely babe! She's gone to rest.
And in her Savior's image blest;
She, while n earth, tho short her stay,
Had gained our love, and hard it was to say, "Thy will be done."



Sat 6 Apr 1867

Wood County, West Verginia
Louis Phillip Dollmeyer. A bright boy of five years, the hope and delight of his parents, who died March 28th at 4 1/2 o'clock p.m., was buried last Sunday afternoon. We refer to Louis Philip Dollmeyer, the son of Mr. Phillip and Louisa Dollmeyer. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Mr. Reed and attended by a large concourse of people. As the solemn procession moved to the Odd Fellows grave yard, it was impossible to restrain a bitter feeling of pain, that one as young and but a short time ago in blooming health, with all prospects of a happy, useful future, would depart so suddenly from among his loving circle. The Rev. minister in his short, touching sermon, well illustrated the sentiments of the large assembly. The parents of the defunct tender their heartfelt thanks to all and friends who have manifested by their presence a sympathy with their deep affliction; they will ever cherish this kindness and rendering the last honors to their dear departed son.

Parkersburg Memorial Gardens




On the 19th of September, in Kent county, Mich., of ulcer in the stomach and symptoms of typhoid fever,

Daniel, son of Henry C. and Esther Wismer, aged 4 years, 10 months and 6 days.

Holy Corners Cemetery

Saturday, February 25, 1888,
A Sad Death
The death of George A. Dean, which occurred last Tuesday was one which came with startling effect upon his many school mates and friends.

He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Dean. He was at play as usual last Saturday, and Sunday started to Sunday school but feeling unwell returned home.

His condition grew rapidly worse and he died Tuesday morning with congestion of the brain.
He was a bright warm hearted boy and highly thought of by all who knew him. He was fifteen years and two months old at the time of his death, and a member of the fifth grade in the high school.
The funeral occurred Thursday afternoon at the Methodist church, the Rev. Cassler conducting the services.



Saturday, March 17, 1888,
George W. McCrary's 5-year old George drank boiling water from the spout of a tea kettle at East Saginaw and died.



Sat 14 Dec 1867

Wood County,  West Verginia
Sad Accident. On Sunday last, Mrs. H. Kramer on Market Street, holding her little daughter, aged nine months,

on her arms went to the stairs and called her husband to dinner,

and not receiving an answer, while starting down stairs slipped and fell to the foot of the stairs, hurting herself and the baby as it was thought at the time, to some extent, but it was supposed not severely.

The baby lingered until the next day and expired yesterday morning at 5 o'clock a.m.

The unfortunate mother is naturally in distress, but every hope is entertained that the injuries received by her in falling will have no more serious results.

The burial of the deceased baby will take place today.



Saturday, March 24, 1888,
Willie Fleming, son of John Fleming, is lying very near death from compression of the brain, caused by a horse stepping on his head last Saturday.
Dr. Rundle is attending him and everything possible is being done to relieve the unfortunate little sufferer.





On the 26th of April, 1867, in Waterloo Township, two sons of Abraham B. CLEMMER, Amos, aged 16 years and 7 months,

and Amos, 14 years and 7 days respectively.

They were engaged in hauling stone, and, driving through marshy ground where the wheels of the wagon turned up wild parsnips.

The younger took up some of the roots, and ate them, and also induced his brother to eat some; and in an hour and a half they were both dead, having been poisoned thereby.

They were buried on the 28th. A large concourse of people were present, so that there was not room for them in the house.

The funeral sermons were, therefore, delivered by Joseph Hegy and John Bear in the grave yard. Read more here

Bloomingdale Mennonite Cemetery



Thursday, May 12, 1887
Mrs. Chas. Martin, wife of a farmer living near Grand Rapids, poisoned herself and two of her children on the 3d, with "rough on rats."



Saturday, March 24, 1888,
Clare Falls, aged 11 years, son of a well-known business man of Tecumseh, while playing with an "unloaded" revolver in company with some other boys, playfully pointed it at his head and fired, killing himself instantly.




Miss H. Belle Cannon, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Stephen B. Cannon, was born 16 Oct 1869 and died 28 April 1890, aged 20 years.

A fair and fragile flower, she had been tenderly nourished by loving hearts and full well she repaid the care bestowed,
but love and hope and skill were equally unavailing.
About 10 Feb she was attacked with La Grippe and that with the hereditary weakness of heart and lungs resulted in quick consumption.
Her's was a particularly cheerful temperament, happiness consisting in making others happy, so her bright smile was a magnet, drawing all hearts to her
and during her illness the ruling passion of her life was well illustrated, for there was no word or thought of repining while,
loving all and anxious to live for them she was ready to go, if such was the heavenly Father's will.
Her work in society, in Sunday School and as a member of the choir had been always done as a glad offering
 of the talents entrusted to her and well had she used them.

She was the youngest of 5 children and, coming to these parts on the anniversary of their wedding day, with her sunny disposition and natural refinement,
her beauty of form and feature, and those large, luminous brown eyes,
she had seemed a priceless gift and their hearts are well nigh broken by this cruel separation,
but many friends extend to them, to the sister and brother left behind, and also to him who would,
ere long, have taken the nearest and dearest earthly relationship,
a tender heartfelt sympathy, while they in turn feel deeply grateful for all the loving words and deeds in this time of  bereavement,
every act having been appreciated.

The funeral at the Union Church was very largely attended by a deeply affected congregation of friends, with a sermon by her beloved pastor,
the Rev. J. H. Paton, assisted by Rev. Mr. Mudge, the text,
"Let not your heart be troubled," seeming like an echo of her own voice since those had been her favorite words of comfort to the mourning friends.
The marble-like form was enshrined in a snow white casket, surrounded by many choice floral tributes and the full Union choir united in pathetic melody,
while standing around her vacant chair,
that was draped with white crepe in memory of its fair, pure occupant.
An escort of six of her most intimate young lady friends preceeded the remains, which were borne by six of her school mates,
and at the Cannon cemetery the grave was robbed of its unsightliness, by the loving hands that arranged its snowy lining and dainty decorations.

"Take her in thine arms, O Father,
And let her gentle spirit be

A messenger of love, between

Our human hearts and Thee."
Cannon Cemetery


Eaby. - On the 11th of December, 1870, in Salsbury township, Lancaster county, Pa., SUSANAH, oldest daughter of Henry S. and Barbara EABY, in the 10th year of her age.

Eaby. - On the 12th of March 1871, BARBARA, wife of Henry S. EABY, in the 35th year of her age. On the 12th her infant child which was only two days old, was buried.

Eaby. - On the 13th of March 1871, CHRISTIAN, son of Henry S. and Barbara EABY, in the 3rd year of his age.

On the 14th the mother and son were buried together at Hess, burying ground

On the 15th of August 1871, in the same place, Catharine Kinig, also of sore throat, aged 5 years, 4 months and 20 days.

On the 23rd of August 1871, of the same disease, Solomon Kinig, aged 7 years, 3 months and 2 days.

On the 26th of August 1871, of summer complaint, Rebecca Kinig, aged 1 year, 1 month and 28 days.

The above three were all children of Samuel S. Kinig and died in the course of 11 days.

Bradshaw, John
John Bradshaw, aged 17, son of Mr. John W. Bradshaw, of Lynchburg, accidently shot himself on Saturday last, and died almost instantly. 
Thurs., March 10, 1870

Cunningham, Samuel B.
Obituary: Samuel B. Cunningham, infant son of Samuel A. and Alice N. Cunningham, departed this life at the residence of his father, at Carter Depot, on the 24th day of July, 1870,
aged six months and seven days. The baby gone, the cradle empty and the home is desolate. God gave and God has taken away.
Little Sammie's life was short and of continual suffering. Death quieted his anguish and placed the little earthly jewel in a heavenly casket, and oh, how solacing and beautiful the
promises of God to human heart whose idols are dead, that parents and children may meet on the green banks of the
New Jerusalem where suffering ceases and the reunion is eternal.

Hart, Richard B,


Drowned: We regret to learn that a little son of Rev. Abraham Hart of Elizabethton, two years of age, was accidentally drowned in Doe River on Wednesday evening, the 21st.
The child was missed and search being made its body was found in the river about two hundred yards below the residence of Mr. Hart.
Mrs. Hart, we are pained to learn, was suffering from severe illness at the time of the accident and the shock was so great she is not expect to recover. September 22, 1870 Harts Mill

November 7, 1891
Foreign Intelligence.
John Clarkson, Peter Hewis, Leo Johnston and William Alliston, four young boys of Midland, Ont., were drowned by the capsizing of a sailboat.

November 7, 1891,
Bay Mills Items - Obituary.
Entered into rest on Tuesday, Nov. 3d, 1891, at Bay Mills, Mich., after a lingering illness, borne with uncomplaining sweetness, Lilly Scott, daughter of Mr. Scott, aged 12 years.
Lilly was a patient sufferer for over two years and a child thoughtful beyond her years, with a sweet trust in her Saviour, so that her death was a "falling asleep in Jesus.
" The remains were taken to Garden River for burial, many friends accompanying the bereaved father and relatives.
Mr.Scott desires to express his deepest thanks to the people of Bay Mills for their great and constant kindness throughout his child's sickness, for their sympathy and affections to him and his in his sorrow.
Wm. Scott's daughter Lilly died on Tuesday of consumption. The funeral took place at Garden river on Wednesday.

November 7, 1891
The State of Superior.
The six year old son of Thomas Atwell, of Ishpeming, was killed while playing on a car which was side tracked.
He was seated on the brake wheel and the brake was released by a companion, starting the car, which bumped against another,
the collision hurling the little fellow from his seat just in time to be caught between the bumpers as the cars rebounded
and came together the second time.He was crushed in a terrible manner.

Passed away, Thursday, April 12th 1883, Lloyed, infant son, of Willard Kate Martin.
This is the second bright boy these afflicted parents have laid to rest in
less than two years. There is now, two little turf covered graves, side by
side, in the cemetery, on which the tears of the dooting parents will often
fall in sorrow. The Angel of death, spread his wing, over their threshold,
and grief and morning entered. They have the deep sympathy of their large
circle of friends.

Saturday, February 25, 1888
A Sad Death
The death of George A. Dean, which occurred last Tuesday was one which came with startling effect upon his many school mates and friends.
He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Dean. He was at play as usual last Saturday, and Sunday started to Sunday school but feeling unwell returned home.
His condition grew rapidly worse and he died Tuesdaay morning with congestion of the brain.
He was a bright warm hearted boy and highly thought of by all who knew him.
He was fifteen years and two months old at the time of his death, and a member of the fifth grade in the high school.
The funeral occurred Thursday afternoon at the Methodist church, the Rev. Cassler conducting the services.

Saturday, March 31, 1888
William Dalrymple who lives near Buchanan, lost five children by diphtheria.

December 18, 1845
Drowned, while skating on a pond near the Universalist meetinghouse in Brewster, 
on the 13th inst., James CROSBY, aged 12 years, youngest son of the late Capt. James CROSBY, 
who was murdered on board the brig JUNIPER.  
He was an interesting lad and by his modest deportment had won the esteem of all who knew him.
16 Jul 1867, Cortland County Died. KETCHUM - At the residence of D.W. CARR, in Cortland , on the morning of the 14th inst., of congestion of the brain, Willie, 
son of George B. and M.W. KETCHUM, of Buffalo, aged 7 years and 4 months.
Unusually sad are the circumstances connected with the death of this bright little boy. 
With a younger brother he was visiting the family of Mr. CARR, 
who but a day or two previous to his death had written to their parents of their perfect health and happiness, when about 11 o'clock on the Saturday forenoon 
Willie was taken sick, 
and though all was done that could be, on the morning following, after an illness of only about sixteen hours, breathed his last.
May God have especial pity on his parents, and enable them to bear this sudden and great change from happiness to sorrow with christian fortitude. 

Died. MINTURN - In this village, on the evening of the 7th ins., Carrie MINTURN, wife of L.S. CRANDALL, aged 17 years and six months.

To the bereaved husband, our esteemed friend and contemporary, we feel an earnest sorrow. He has indeed, met with an irreparable loss.

Her never-failing kindness, gentle demeanor, and sweet, winning ways charmed all with whom she came in contact,

gained her many friends, and made her the guiding star of him who now mourns his loneliness. Such women make men gentlemen.

Their presence smooths the rugged paths of life, lessens the rigor of daily toil, renders home happier, and this beautiful world yet brighter.

    "Happy, happier far than thou,
    With the laurel on the brow;
    She makes the humble hearth
    Lovely but to one on earth."

The deceased had been ill for several weeks, but was convalescent, and friends and relatives were
looking forward in the fullness of hope to her perfect recovery,
when a sudden relapse made her home desolate. A large concourse of saddened acquaintances attended her funeral,
and offered their heartfelt sympathy to the grief-stricken husband.
May her spirit-influence guide and guard him in the future, as her love and gentleness have in the past.